Hearty Beef Stew
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1kg beef rump, cubed into 1cm pieces
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 4 cups low-sodium beef stock
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 300g baby potatoes, halved
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup freshly chopped flat parsley, for garnish
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add beef and cook until seared on all sides, 10 minutes, working in batches if necessary. Transfer beef to a plate.
- In the same pot, cook onion, carrots, and celery until soft, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and tomato paste and cook until garlic is fragrant and tomato paste has darkened, 2 minutes.
- Add beef back to the pot then add stock, wine, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and let simmer until beef is tender, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Add potatoes and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves. Stir in peas and cook until warmed through 2 minutes. Season stew to taste with salt and pepper, then ladle into serving bowls and garnish with parsley.
Serve with your choice of starch.